top of page
35e. West End Methodist chapel 1965.jpg

Primitive Methodist (West End) Chapel
World War One Memorial

Commemorating the young men and one woman who were members of the congregation and who lost their lives whilst serving during World War I (1914-1918) 

Winfield Crawshaw et al Church Commemoration Christ Church Stocksbridge.jpg

This memorial commemorates ten men and one woman, members of the Chapel's congregation, who died serving their country during The Great War.  This building is now the Rugby Club, but it was originally the Primitive Methodist Chapel, before its name was changed in 1932 to the West End Methodist Chapel.  This memorial was originally fixed to the east wall but when the chapel closed in 1974 it was removed to the Wesleyan chapel at Old Haywoods, Deepcar.  That too has now closed, so the memorial has been relocated to Christ Church, Stocksbridge.

Winfield Crawshaw et al Church Commemoration Christ Church Stocksbridge.jpg

Photo credit: Ian Sutton

In honoured memory of those connected with this church who laid down their lives in the Great War 1914 – 1918.

Nurse Lucy Castledine

Fred Castledine

Thomas H. Finkill

Reginald W. Hill

Winfield Crawshaw

Arthur Brailsford

Douglas Shaw

Alfred Sutton

Horace Smith

Fred Fieldsend

Clifford Orchard

They died that we might live

This chapel was built in 1865-1866 and celebrated its centenary in 1966.  In a booklet celebrating the centenary of the Primitive Methodist church, Fred Hampshire wrote: 


With the commencement of the First World War in August 1914 a number of our young men responded to Kitchener’s call for volunteers and quite naturally something of a gloom seemed to be cast over our worship and other activities,” adding, “it is worth recording here that on Whit Monday 1915 [24th May] two members of our Young Men’s class, Winfield Crawshaw and Willie Crownshaw, who had joined His Majesty’s Forces, broke camp and returned to Stocksbridge to carry their Sunday School banner in the procession.”[1] - with or without permisson, we don't know; they were stationed at Strensall (north of York) at this time.


[1] “Stocksbridge Primitive Methodist – West End Methodist Church 1866-1966 Centenary Handbook.”  Compiled by Fred Hampshire.  This is also mentioned by Harry Eastwood in his MS “The History of Stocksbridge and District,” an unpublished manuscript that, upon his death in 1979, was donated to Sheffield libraries by his widow.  There is a reference copy in Stocksbridge library and one in Sheffield Local Studies library.


Lucy Castledine from Nigel Castledine.jpg
Lucy Castledine2 from Nigel Castledine.jpg

Photographs courtesy of Nigel Castledine 

Lucy was the daughter of John Henry and Hannah Castledine of Mount Pleasant, Stocksbridge.  The family were heavily involved with the chapel; Lucy's grandfather George Castledine was a founder member of the Primitive Methodist chapel, and was a Sunday School teacher, local preacher and society leader.  He had been born at Bingham, in the vale of Belvoir, in around 1844, and came to Stocksbridge to work in the steel works; he worked at Fox’s for 51 years.  He had vivid memories of the Great Sheffield Flood of 1864.  Lucy was a member of the Primitive Church choir and attended the women’s Bible classes there. 


Lucy Hannah Castledine was born on the 21st June 1893 and baptised at the Jenkin Road Primitive Methodist chapel, Brightside, on the 6th August.  When the 1911 census was taken, she was 17 years old and working in Fox’s in the umbrella department.  She later became a nurse worked at the Firvale Military Hospital in Sheffield.  She died whilst working there on the 24th October 1918.  She was 25 years old and had been employed there for two years.  Lucy had charge of a ward of around 40 patients at the hospital and had been caring for a young officer who was suffering from pneumonia.  She appears to have caught the infection from him; he survived her by only a few hours.  She had three brothers serving in the army, Douglas, Percy and Fred.  Her younger brother Fred had been killed in action in France a few months previously, and Douglas and Percy were unable to attend her funeral because they were on active service.  They survived the War.

A letter survives dated the 13th October which Lucy wrote to her brother Percy.  

Just a line this morning to let you know I am still OK.  It is a glorious Sunday morning.  I am off duty until 4 o/c this afternoon & have just turned into the sitting room to write letters for we have been so busy lately that I have had no time.  I received your letter saying you were at the [base?]  I cannot understand how it is you haven’t got across with some of those convoys.  Everyone is elated here this morning for there is news of the war being over but I haven’t seen a paper.  I hope it is true.  I don’t care who ever makes the peace terms you know I mean America or England so long as it all comes to an end, one can scarcely realize what it will be like.

The hospital was practicing for a Christmas concert; sadly, a Christmas she would not live to see.  Lucy had a part in this, and she wrote that she was to represent Scotland in one part of it; one of her “boys” (patients) had written to his mother who had arranged for a “fine Scotch rig out” to be sent to her.  Lucy wouldn't have been shy at performing; she had been a member of the choir and had taken part in the church's concerts back home, one one occasion reciting two pieces, “What it is to be a mother” and “Owd Billy [Falooke?].” [I have had no luck tracking these down].  Two of the other recitations were entitled “Temperance Drill” and “Total Abstinence.” 


 “I went home for a day this last week & found everyone much the same, they are looking forward to you getting your leave.  I told them you had put in for it.  Douglas says he may come home by Xmas. Well Percy I don’t think I have any more to tell you, trusting you are keeping much better.  Heaps of love, Lucy xx

Lucy went home for another visit on the 20th October but sadly died four days later at the age of 25.  The local paper printed an article on the 2nd November 1918.  “She was beloved by all with whom she came in contact, her unassuming and quiet manner winning for her a host of friends.” A service was held at the church attached to Firvale Hospital, which was attended by the medical staff, Matron, nurses and patients.  Lucy was laid to rest at Bolsterstone after a service conducted by the Rev. S. Bates, circuit minister of the Primitive Church.  The coffin was draped with the Union Jack and escorted by about 30 wounded soldiers from the hospital and about 40 members of the Primitive Church Women’s Bible Class.  Sadly, her brothers Douglas and Percy were on active service and unable to attend.   Such a sad time for the family, with Fred having been killed in action earlier that year, in April.

Lucy end of letter.jpg


Lucy and Fred Castledine from Nigel Castledine_edited.jpg

Photograph and letters courtesy of Nigel Castledine 

Fred was born in 1895 and was Lucy's younger brother.  When the 1911 census was taken, he was 16 years old and working  as a brick layer's apprentice, as was his younger brother Percy, who was 14.  Like his sister, he had been involved with the chapel, being the assistant secretary of the Sunday school there and he had also been a member of the Male Voice Choir since its formation,


Fred enlisted in the army, and was a Sapper in the Royal Engineers, 458th Field Company.  

He was killed in Action on 12th April 1918 and has no known grave but is remembered on a family gravestone at Bolsterstone: “Fred Castledine, born 14.01.1895, killed in action near Kemmel 12.04.1918.”  The Commonwealth War Graves Commission records him as being commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial in Zonnebeke, West-Vlaanderen in Belgium, panel 8.  He was 24 years old.


A letter survived which was written by Fred to his sister Lucy on the 2nd March 1918, just over a month before he was killed on the 12th April.  He wrote that he was still keeping well, but the weather was very cold.  They were working on a camp behind the Line but he was expecting that they would be going to to the [Front] Line sometime that week, worse luck.”  He takes delight in tellling her he had done well at school, during which time he was away from his Company for three weeks.  There was three days travelling each way, and a had a very good”  concert to finish up with.  He tells Lucy that he did better than he had expected, getting 160 points out of 200, with the highest being 185.   His brother Percy said there'd be a stripe for him, but he would not like one.  He then spilt the bottle of ink all over his bed and spoilt a green envelope. [1]  He went on to say he had seen his brother Percy and spent a night with him.  Percy's men were getting a loaf of bread per man a day, which he said was different to us;” he was implying that this was more than he got, because Percy then made him take a loaf back with him.  He said, “I did not want to take it on account of having no teeth but he said he would only give it away.”  It is sad to read that he [Percy] nearly cryed the night I left him.  I felt sorry for him he is still keeping well but he is not strong enough to be out here.  I shall be glad when it is all over, but there his not much hopes just yet.  I don’t think he will be long before he gets another leave.  Fred concludes his letter by saying that he has not heard from Douglas (their younger brother) lately, and says he will probably be busy writing to a girl in Newcastle (although he was none too complimentary about her!).   I will now dry up with heaps of love from your loving Bro Fred xxxxx xxxx 


The Penistone, Stocksbridge and Hoyland Express of 23rd March 1918 noted that Doulgas was home on leave.  “Patriotic Family. – We notice home on well-earned leave this week Driver Douglas Castledine (R.F.A.), who has just returned from France.  This family have indeed done their bit, for Sapper Percy Castledine and Sapper Fred Castledine, both in the Royal Engineers, are on active service in France, while Nurse Lucy Castledine, sister to these brave lads, is a nurse at Firvale Military Hospital, Sheffield.   The same newspaper reported his death in their 4th May edition, and on the 1st June reported on a Memorial Service that had been held in his honour at the Primitive Methodist Church.  The service was taken by the Rev. J. Redhead who quoted a letter from a company officer, which showed that the bright and cheerful disposition of our late friend had impressed all he came across.   The choir sang Brams’ “Soldier’s Death” [Brahm's?]

[1]  Letters from soldiers on active service were subjected to censorship by their junior officers to ensure that details such as location and military objectives were not disclosed.  However, as a privilege, soldiers were given one green envelope per month in which they could send uncensored personal and private letters to loved ones.  The soldier had to sign to verify that they had only included private and family matters. The letters were not opened or read by regimental censors but as a deterrent a random sample were opened at HQ and if a soldier had betrayed the trust placed in him, he would be court-martialled and punished. 

Lucy and Fred Castledine from Nigel Castledine_edited.jpg
Fred end of letter.jpg
Castledines from Nigel Castledine.jpg

Photographs and letters courtesy of Nigel Castledine.

Castledines Penistone, Stocksbridge and Hoyland Express 06 April 1918.jpg

Published in the Penistone, Stocksbridge and Hoyland Express 06 April 1918

Sapper Percy Castledine, Driver Douglas Castledine, Nurse Lucy Castledine and Sapper Fred Castledine


L-R, Bernard Hill, Winfield, Thomas Finkhill_edited.jpg
L-R, Bernard Hill, Winfield, Thomas Finkhill_edited.jpg

Thomas Finkill is on the right of the three men.  He was born in 1896.  Standing at the back is Winfield Crawshaw born 1896, and Bernard Hill is on the left, born 1895.  Winfield and Thomas were both killed in action in 1917.  Thomas Henry Finkill was known as Harry, and Bernard’s full name was John Bernard.  John Bernard Hill lived at Horner Houses and married Winfield’s cousin Lucy Liles in 1916.  John Bernard Hill’s younger brother, Walter Reginald (Reginald Walter) was born in 1897 and was killed in France on 3rd October 1918, just over a month before the cessation of hostilities.  He is also on this War Memorial.

Photographs from my family collection

Private Thomas Henry Finkill, known as Harry, was the son of Fred Finkill (a tailor) and Emily Gertrude Newsam of Horner Houses.  He was born in the Barnsley area on the 25th September 1896  Newsam.  In 1911 he was living at Horner House with his family; he was 14 years old and employed as a pipe worker.


He was a private in the 8th Battalion of the Border Regiment, formerly in the K.O.Y.L.I. no. 20792 and was killed in action on Friday 3rd August 1917 aged 20, and his name is remembered on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial in Belgium – meaning he has no grave.  His mother had been widowed and was living at Shay House Lane, Common Piece.  She was the sole legatee of his effects.


Unfortunately, I have been unable to source a photograph of Private Hill, although his brother John Bernard appears in the one above.  Walter Reginald was born in 1897  to Walter (an iron worker) and Mary Bell.  He is recorded as Reginald W. on the Memorial.  The family lived at Don Square, Horner Houses; in 1911 the address was 218 Horner Houses.  Young Walter was 13 years old and employed as a trammer in the coal pit.  He later worked for Fox's, where he was held “in the highest esteem.”  His older brother John Bernard was an errand boy for a family grocer.  The boys’ father, Walter, came from Bradwell, Derbyshire.

The family may have been related to Mr. Fred William Hill and his wife, who were heavily involved with the Primitive Methodist chapel and Sunday School for over 50 years. In 1909, when a new Trust was formed, Fred Hill was one of the Trustees, and his wife was the secretary of the Sisterhood (formed in 1910).  Fred played the organ and later conducted the Primitive Methodist Male Voice Choir (formed in 1912).  Then in 1913 he took over as Chapel Choir Master.


Walter was a Private in the 1st Battalion of the King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.  He was killed in France on 3rd October 1918, just over a month before the cessation of hostilities.  He is buried in Guizancourt Farm Cemetery, Gouy, Aisne.  His nephew Ernest Hill related to Michael Parker (author of Poppy People) that he was always told that his uncle was shot whilst showering outside his tent.  Which seems like awful bad luck, having almost survived until the end of the War.  

He appears on the memorial was Reginald W.; he was affectionately known as Reggie.


Winfield & Shep.jpg
Winfield in uniform.jpg
Winfield KIA May 3, 1917.jpg
Lucy Castledine
Fred Castledine
Thomas Henry Finkill
Walter Reginald Hill
Winfield Crawshaw

My great uncle Winfield Crawshaw was born at Horner House on the 15 April 1896. His mother was Sarah Hannah Crawshaw, nee Evans, and her family originated from Bradwell in Derbyshire, where there was a strong Methodist movement.  Some of the Evans family were Methodists, and a man called Seth Evans published a book called “Methodism in Bradwell” in 1907.  Sarah Hannah died in 1932 and her obituary said that she had been living in Pearson Street, a much-respected resident of the neighbourhood and was actively associated with the Primitive Methodist Sisterhood.  


Winfield worked in the Spring Mill at Fox’s before enlisting in the Army on the 6 December 1914.  He was 18 years and 8 months old.  He attested into the 2/4th battalion, York & Lancaster Regiment.  Winfield was still in this country when he returned to Stocksbridge to carry the Sunday school banner.  The regiment was mobilised for war in January 1917 and embarked for France.  Winfield was killed in battle in May 1917 at the 2nd Battle of Bullecourt. 

There is much more information about Winfield HERE which includes his time in the army and information taken from the 2/4th York & Lancaster War Diaries, as well as short bios of some of his Battalion comrades who died in France.


Arthur Brailsford
Arthur Brailsford_edited.jpg

Photo supplied by Brian Broadhead; he thinks Arthur was a friend of the family.  Arthur lived at Brook View, which was on Pearson Street, Horner Houses, and Brian’s grandma lived on Pearson Street.

Arthur was born in 1894, and was the son of Charles Herbert Brailsford and Alice Ann Cheetham.  He had three siblings, Ernest, Walter and Alice May.  Alice May married Winfield Crawshaw’s brother Cyril in 1927.  The family lived at Brook View (Pearson Street), Horner Houses.  When the 1911 census was taken, 16 year old Arthur was living at home and was employed as a brick yard labourer.  His father was an engine driver in the colliery.  Arthur was later employed in the Spring Mill at Fox's.


Arthur enlisted in the Rifle Brigade in 1914 at the age of 20.  He attested on the 7th September at Winchester, was posted to the Regimental Depot on the 8th and joined the 10th (Service) Battalion on the 20th September. He died of wounds received in action on the 20th October 1915.


Arthur was 5’ 4½” tall and weighed 127lbs (just over 9 stone).  He had a fresh complexion, grey eyes and light brown hair, and had a scar on the inside of his left forearm.

On the 25th November 1914 (two months after enlisting), whilst at Blackdown [Camp, Deepcut] he was reported by Corporal Edwards for being late on parade for Quarter Master's Stores fatigue whilst on active service.  His punishment was to be confined to barracks [C.B.] for three days.  Fatigue Duty refers to any of the mainly domestic duties performed by military personnel.  These were often given as a punishment.


Arthur embarked for the continent at Folkestone on the 21st July 1915.  He died of wounds in the field on the 29th October, three months after arriving.  It was reported that he was killed by a sniper whilst on sentry duty.  He had been in the Army just short of 14 months.


A photograph of Arthur, together with a letter received by his mother, were printed in the Penistone, Stocksbridge and Hoyland Express on the 20th November 1915: 


News has been received that Rifleman Arthur Brailsford, of the 10th Rifle Brigade, whose home was at 201, Brook View, Horner House, Stocksbridge, has been killed by a sniper while on sentry duty.  He was formerly employed in Messrs. Samuel Fox and Co.’s spring mill at Stocksbridge but joined the colours fourteen months ago and has been serving for the last six months in France.  Sergeant E. Wakefield, “B” Co., 10th Rifle Brigade, writes to the parents of Pte. Arthur Brailsford as follows:


Dear Madam.  I regret to inform you that your son, Arthur Brailsford, was killed at 6am this morning. He was struck by a sniper’s bullet whilst on sentry. His death was instantaneous, and he did not suffer any pain.  He was buried today by the Chaplain in the soldiers’ cemetery and his resting place will be marked with a cross inscribed with his number, name, and regiment. Riflemen Sutton and Race, of Stocksbridge, and Kelly, Bamford, and Oglesby of Sheffield, attended the funeral on behalf of his platoon.  We all feel his loss keenly, as he was so quiet and unassuming and a good comrade. All our platoon join with me in offering you our deepest sympathy in your sad bereavement, but you have the great consolation of knowing that he died doing his duty, and no soldier could wish for a nobler death. Trusting that you bear up in your great loss.” 


He is buried in the Royal Irish Rifles Graveyard, Laventie, Pas de Calais, France.  He was in B. Company at the time of his death.  

Arthur Brailsford effects_edited.jpg

The Personal Effects of Arthur Brailsford: 1 penknife, 1 packet Corres (this could mean correspondence) 1 pipe, 1 tin tobacco, 1 cig maker & letters


Douglas Nelson Shaw
Douglas Shaw Penistone, Stocksbridge and Hoyland Express 18 September 1915_edited.jpg

Douglas Nelson Shaw was born in 1894 and was the son of Joseph Shaw and Agnes Eaton of 233 Bessemer Terrace, Horner Houses.  In 1911 he was living at home and was employed as a joiner.  He was employed at Fox's, though whether this was as a joiner isn't known, and he enlisted with the Northumberland Fusiliers on New Year’s Day 1915.

Penistone, Stocksbridge and Hoyland Express 18 September 1915

The above photo was printed with the caption “Stocksbridge Man Wounded.”  The paper reported that Private Douglas Shaw of Stocksbridge, who was in the Northumberland Fusiliers, had been wounded whilst serving at the Dardanelles [Turkey; also known as the Strait of Gallipoli].


Douglas Shaw survived the ill-fated Gallipoli campaign, only to die on a battlefield on the Western Front.  His death was reported in the same newspaper on 5th May 1917:  “LCpl W. [sic] Shaw.  Son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Shaw, Bessemer Terrace, KIA France 09/04/1917.  He was 23."   He was in the 1st Battalion at the time of his death.


He is buried in the Beaurains Road Cemetery, Beaurains, Pas de Calais, France (located on the southern outskirts of the town of Arras).  His headstone bears the words “Worthy of Remembrance.” 


Arthur Sutton
Alfred Sutton.jpg

Photograph printed in the Penistone Almanac 1917 (surname wrongly spelt).  Thanks to Ian Sutton for sourcing this photograph.

Alfred lived at Bessemer Terrace, Horner Houses.  He was born in 1892.  When the 1911 census was taken, he was living with his parents John Sutton (a spring fitter) and Margaret (nee Varty) at 231 Bessemer Terrace, Horner Houses.  Alfred was 18 years old and employed as a crane driver.  His brother Arthur (Arthur Henry) was also living there, 20 years old, also a crane driver.  Alfred was a member of the church football team.

Rifleman Sutton is almost certainly the man mentioned in the letter above, written to Rifleman Arthur Brailsford's mother.  Arthur was killed on the 2nd October 1915.  In the letter, Sergeant Wakefield wrote that Arthur was buried by the Chaplain in the soldiers’ cemetery and that two Stocksbridge men, Riflemen Sutton and Race, attended the funeral on behalf of his platoon.  

Like Arthur Brailsford, Alfred Sutton was a Rifleman in the 10th Battalion Rifle Brigade, and his service number differs by only one number to Arthur’s.  Perhaps they joined up together. 


The Penistone, Stocksbridge and Hoyland Express 29 April 1916 printed the following:

News has arrived that Rifleman Alfred Sutton, of the Rifle Brigade, who enlisted soon after war broke out, has been killed in action on April 13th 1916 by a shell explosion.  Corporal C. W. Clifton, in a letter to the parents of the deceased, who live at Stocksbridge, says: “It is with deepest regret that I have to inform you of your loss in the death of your son.  He was killed by a shell explosion on April 13th.  Alfred was in my section, and during the time I knew him I always found him a good-hearted chap and always willing to do his share of any job which was on hand.  All the men in this section unite with myself in offering their deepest sympathy to you.  It came as a big shock to us when we heard he was killed; but he suffered no pain.”  Deceased was 23 years of age, and previous to enlisting was employed in the Spring Department at Messrs. S. Fox and Co.’s Stocksbridge.  He was well known and respected and was a prominent member of the Church football team.  We shall print his photograph next week [this was printed but is too indistinct to be reduced here]


Alfred is commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) War Memorial, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium.  He has no known grave.

Horace Walker, Donald Shaw, Arthur Sutton_edited.jpg

This photograph comes from my family papers and on the back are three names: Horace Walker, Donald Shaw and Arthur Sutton.  The man at the back has been identified by his granddaughter as Horace Walker, who was born in 1892.  As a miner, he was in a reserved occupation, and was not called up to fight.  It is believed the man on the left is Arthur.

All three men were living at Bessemer Terrace, Horner Houses, in 1911.  Arthur Sutton was the older brother of Rifleman Alfred Sutton who was killed 13th April 1916, and Donald Shaw was the younger brother of Douglas Nelson Shaw who was killed on the 9th April 1917.


Horace Smith_edited.jpg
Horace Smith

This photograph comes from my family papers and would have been a friend of my family.  Horace was born in Stocksbridge in 1889, the son of James (born Wolverhampton) and Rebecca (born Lancashire).  In 1891 they were living at Don Square, Horner Houses.  When the 1901  census was taken, they were at Bessemer Terrace, Horner Houses and in 1911 James was at no. 230.  Horace was a popular player in the Stocksbridge Church football team and was reported to be kind-hearted and highly esteemed by those who met him. 


Previous to the war he had spent four years in India with his regiment.  When war broke out, they were drafted home and went to France almost immediately. Just before leaving India he suffered from enteric fever.  On reaching England he was billeted at Sheerness, and whilst there he was offered the position of drill instructor, but instead he opted to go out to the front with the British Expeditionary Force.  He was in the King's Royal Rifle Corps.  Since landing in France on the 8th April 1915, he had been in the thick of the fighting and was apparently always in a cheerful mood.  After the Battle of Loos he was commended in the following note from the Major-General commanding the division:

Your Commanding Officer and Brigade Commander have informed me that you have distinguished yourself by conspicuous bravery in the field on September 28th and again on October 3rd 1915.  I have read their reports, and although promotion and decorations cannot be given in every case, I should like you to know that your gallant action is recognised and how greatly it is appreciated.

The Battle of Loos on the Western Front lasted from the 25th September to the 8th October 1915.  It was the biggest British attack of 1915, the first time that the British had used poison gas, and the first mass engagement of New Army units.


He was killed by the bursting of a shell on the 2nd June 1917.  He was 27 years old. 


Writing home to his sister Annie on the day before he received his fatal wound, he said:

“I have had another very trying time. We were subjected to about the fiercest bombardment that has taken place for some considerable time, and it has lasted for about four days. We have been relieved from the firing line – but are still close by in case of emergency.  I have just come back from water fatigue, and I’ve had the pleasure of having a wash and shave – the first for eight days – so you can imagine the joy of it. We are going back to the same position tomorrow, but don’t have any fear, for I am so confident and shall never lose spirit, when I know the cause for which we are fighting.”


News came in from a nurse at the clearing station behind the Line reporting that he had been carried in that morning, 2nd June, and died at 4pm, having never regained consciousness. 


A letter from his companion in the trenches states that he was much respected by his officers and men, and that his place would be hard to fill.


Second Lieutenant Chambers, in a letter to Horace's parents, wrote:

As his platoon commander, I am writing to express my deepest sympathy with you in your loss.  Your son was one of the bravest men I ever met: he simply did not know the meaning of fear.  He was hit by a piece of shell, and I did not think it was serious, as he made light of his wounds whilst being dressed.  His loss is deeply felt, not only by his platoon, but by all the men in the company.  Whatever post he was in charge of in the trenches I always knew that I need not have the slightest anxiety.  He was always cheerful under any conditions, and it will indeed be difficult to replace him.  I hope it will be a comfort to you to know that he had every possible attention, and that he suffered very little.”


Horace is buried in the Barlin Communal Cemetery, France.  The Inscription on his headstone reads: “Be ye prepared, That we may meet again.


His sister, Miss Winnie Smith of 230 Bessemer Terrace, was the sole legatee of his effects.  According to the 1911 census, Horace's father James was now a widower, living wit his son Cyril aged 20 and daughter Winnifred aged 18.  There were also a family of boarders named Hartshorn.


Horace was awarded the Victory Medal, the British Medal and also the Star Medal.  The Star Medal (also known as The Mons Star) was awarded to officers and men of the pre-war British Army, specifically the British Expeditionary Force (B.E.F or the Old Contemptibles), who landed in France soon after the outbreak of the War and who took part in the Retreat from Mons (hence the nickname 'Mons Star').  365,622 were awarded in total.  Recipients of this medal also received the British War Medal and Victory Medal, and all three were sometimes irreverently referred to as Pip, Squeak and Wilfred. More information at


Fred Fieldsend

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a photograph of Fred Fieldsend. 


He was born in 1892 and was the son of William Fieldsend and Sarah Hawley.  His mother died when he was a baby, and in 1901 he was living with his widowed father and his siblings at Bessemer Terrace.  He was still at Horner Houses in 1911 (Don Square), living with his sisters Ada and Clara and he worked in Fox’s.


Fred enlisted at Lincoln in the 9th Lincoln Regiment on the 8th April 1916.  His address at the time was 243 Springmill Terrace.  He was 23 years and 357 days old, worked as a sheet roller, and unmarried.  He answered “yes” to the question “have you ever served in any branch of His Majesty’s Forces,” and wrote regimental no. 1752, discharged 8th April 1916 [KOYLI?]

His Army Record is available on Findmypast, and the Casualty Form records that he embarked on the 24th July 1916 and that he joined the 2nd Battalion on the 30th July 1916.  The card is marked “Field” and stamped 23 October 1916, which was the day he was reported missing.  The next entry is dated 7th August 1917, received [information] from the War Office, “accepted for official purposes as having died on or since 23 October 1916.”


He was reported missing in action on 23rd October 1916, and it was later confirmed that this was the day he died.  He is remembered on his parents’ gravestone as their son who was killed in action in France in 1916 aged 24.  In his book Poppy People (Revised Edition), Michael Parker wrote that there was no record of Fred on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission’s Debt of Honour.  However, I have found him indexed as Private Fred “Fieldsen,” service number 22645, 2nd Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment, died 23rd October 1916.  He is buried or commemorated at the Thiepval Memorial in France.


His effects were to be sent to his brother Arthur, who was living at Bower Row, “who should be informed that the effects are the equal property of the soldier’s brothers and sisters.”  He was awarded the Victory and British medals.


Clifford Orchard

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a photograph of Clifford Orchard.


Clifford was born at Stocksbridge in 1893 and lived at Horner House, Stocksbridge.  He was the son of Henry and Annie Chapman Orchard.  Henry was a blacksmith and had been born in Bath, Somerset.  Annie had been born in Lincoln. 


When the 1901 census was taken, he was living with his parents and sister Hilda at Horner House.  By 1911 he had moved into Sheffield and was lodging with the Murphy family at Addy Street, Upperthorpe.  His occupation was “barber.”  He married Myrtle Annie Stokes at Wales parish church 7th April 1912.

Clifford was a private in the 10th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment.  He was killed in action on 20th September 1917 aged 24 and is remembered on the Tyne Cot War Memorial, Zonnebeck, West Vlaanderen, Belgium (he has no known grave).

Clifford was awarded the Victory and British medals, and his effects went to his sole legatee, his widow Myrtle.

Married Myrtle Annie Stokes at Wales parish church 7th April 1912.

Below are the Certificates for the ten men named on the Memorial, downloaded from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website - click on a photograph to enlarge it.

1914 to 1918 WW1 card to Clara from Charlie, Paris, front.jpg
1917 Christmas card from Charlie Woodcock to the Crossleys outside.jpg

Two cards sent to Winfield's sister Clara from France during the War.  They are from Charlie Woodcock, who married Clara and Winfield's sister Charlotte Elizabeth (Lottie). 

Lottie Crawshaw and Charlie Woodcock married 1918.jpg

Charles Barwick Woodcock and Lottie Crawshaw, married St. Leonard's Church, Wortley, 2nd October 1918.  He was a signaller in the East Yorkshire Regiment.

bottom of page