The Rising Sun Inn
Thank you to everyone who has contributed photographs so far - please get in touch if you have any that you think would be of interest to others.
The New Inn, Manchester Road, Stocksbridge. Click on a photo to enlarge it and for more information.
The Rising Sun is on the hillside behind the works (circled in red), together with its attached cottage. It was built in the 1860s and run by generations of the Newton family.
This early photograph shows The Rising Sun on the hillside behind the new “Office Block” at Fox’s. Following the path from the pub, we can see Brick Lump on the left of the path, before the road curves round to the Croft area, where Joseph Newton had some properties, and then Brownhill Row, at the bottom of Pea Royd Hill.
The Rising Sun (centre), Hunshelf House on the left of the photo and the Rising Sun cottage on the right. It had been bought by Tennant Brothers brewery, Sheffield, in 1912, and was open a hundred years before closing in 1967. It was demolished the following year.
The Rising Sun on the hillside above Stocksbridge. In the foreground is Farmer's Terrace, Hunter's shop and a field where the market was held (now the Co-op carpark). The houses on the right were on Johnson Street and have been demolished.
Close-up of previous photo. The Rising Sun on the hillside above Stocksbridge. Top left is Brick Lump (now demolished), then Hunshelf House, the Rising Sun and the Rising Sun Cottage. Goit Side houses just below the pub (now demolished)
A close-up from the previous photograph. Hunshelf House, where one-time landlord Joseph Newton went to live after leaving the pub in 1896.
The Rising Sun is in the centre of the row of buildings above the “Office Block” at Fox’s, next to the entrance to Fox’s coal pit.
Group of men outside the Rising Sun. Harry Newton’s name is above the door, so this dates it to between 1897 to 1909. The man on the left is possibly Charles Hague. Photo credit: Kevin Fletcher
Harry Newton was the landlord when this photograph was taken. He was landlord from 1897 to his death there in 1909.
Elizabeth Newton, centre, the widow of Harry. She carried on running the pub after his death in 1909. She later married John William Bisby in 1919, and she transferred the pub's licence to him shortly afterwards. They were there until 1932. Elizabeth was born in about 1875. Seth Sanderson is seated far left holding a pipe, Joe Long standing far left. Next to Joe Long is possibly Bert? Rogers. Photo credit: Les Matthews, Grant Davies
Outside the Midland Hotel, Buxton. Published in the Fox Magazine Spring 1952. Photo: H. Whittaker
The home of Joseph Newton after he left the Rising Sun. The Rising Sun and its cottage have been demolished, leaving just this house. There is another Hunshelf House further along Hunshelf Bank towards Pearoyd Hill.
Berton-under-Edge where William and Martha Newton ran a pub from 1862 until William's death in 1864. His son-in-law James Thompson first ran the Rising Sun; Martha Newton took over the licence in about 1870. Reproduced with permission of the National Library of Scotland.
The Rising Sun highlighted in yellow. Reproduced with permission of the National Library of Scotland.