The Royal Oak

Deepcar

Thank you to everyone who has contributed photographs so far - please get in touch if you have any that you think would be of interest to others.

Royal Oak 1860.jpg

The Royal Oak, Deepcar.  Click on a photo to enlarge it and for more information.

Royal Oak 1860
Royal Oak 1860

The Royal Oak was opened as a beerhouse in the 1830s by Benjamin Couldwell, gaining a full wines and spirits licence a few years later. The pub was in the hands of the Couldwells for several generations. The building on the left was the old toll-bar, which was in operation until the end of 1875.

press to zoom
Whistun 1907
Whistun 1907

Church Schools Whitsuntide gathering in 1907. The pub doorway can be seen, with the grocer's shop doorway to its left.

press to zoom
Whitsun 1907
Whitsun 1907

Church Schools Whitsuntide gathering in 1907. The pub is out of shot on the right, but the attached shop can be seen.

press to zoom
Whitsun 1908
Whitsun 1908

The Royal Oak with the provision shop next to it on the left, and a house. The building is much smaller than this on the 1854 OS map, so it must have been extended at some point; the photograph taken in 1860 also shows a much smaller building. The attached shop shown in this photograph was in the possession of George Dimmock at this time.

press to zoom
Whitsun Gathering
Whitsun Gathering

Taken at the top of Vaughton Hill. The pub itself is just out of shot on the far right, but the attached house and grocer's shop can be seen.

press to zoom
Whitsun 1910
Whitsun 1910

The crowd is gathered at the bottom of Carr Road. The gateway to the stables at the rear of the pub is on the left, then a shop. The bottom three terraced houses belonged to Benjamin Couldwell junior and were rented out to tenants.

press to zoom
After 1893
After 1893

Co-op stores left (opened 1893), with King and Miller beyond. On the other side of the road is Robinson's shop (now demilished) with the Royal Oak beyond.

press to zoom
Royal Oak 2020
Royal Oak 2020

Photo credit: Ian Sutton

press to zoom
Royal Oak 2019
Royal Oak 2019
press to zoom
Top of Vaughton Hill
Top of Vaughton Hill

Photo: Google maps

press to zoom
Royal Oak 1945
Royal Oak 1945

The pub is displaying signage for Gilmour’s ales. The Huddersfield bus is at the bottom of Carr Road; it was run by Baddeley’s and was green and white.

press to zoom
J. Addy Royal Oak ad 1908
J. Addy Royal Oak ad 1908
press to zoom
J. Addy advert 1909
J. Addy advert 1909
press to zoom
1940 Home Guard dinner
1940 Home Guard dinner

Souvenir card for the 2nd dinner and social held at the Royal Oak for the Home Guard Stocksbridge Work’s Company (Yorkshire & Lancashire Regiment), held on the 14th December 1940.

press to zoom
1940 Home Guard dinner at Royal Oak 2
1940 Home Guard dinner at Royal Oak 2

Souvenir card for the 2nd dinner and social held at the Royal Oak for the Home Guard Stocksbridge Work’s Company (Yorkshire & Lancashire Regiment), held on the 14th December 1940.

press to zoom
1855 OS Map
1855 OS Map

The Royal Oak is highlighted in yellow TP signifies the Turnpike Reproduced with permission of the National Library of Scotland.

press to zoom
1894 OS Map
1894 OS Map

The building is much larger here Reproduced with permission of the National Library of Scotland.

press to zoom