The New Inn

Stocksbridge

Thank you to everyone who has contributed photographs so far - please get in touch if you have any that you think would be of interest to others.

New Inn and St. Matthias 1980.jpg

The New Inn, Manchester Road, Stocksbridge. Click on a photo to enlarge it and for more information.

New Inn 1993
New Inn 1993

Photo credit: Dave Pickersgill

New Inn 1993
New Inn 1993

Photo credit: Dave Pickersgill

New Inn
New Inn

The New Inn was at the bottom of Nanny Hill, on the main road at Stocksbridge. It was opened as a beerhouse by Henry Liles in about 1860. It is now a private house. Receiving a delivery. Photo credit: Alan Dudley Hoyle

New Inn S & O Outing
New Inn S & O Outing

Blackpool Trip 1939 Photo credit: Dennis Turner

New Inn
New Inn

Whit Walk. The pub sign can be seen on the right, and the (now demolished) houses of Rimington Row on the left

New Inn 1960s
New Inn 1960s

Whitsuntide Parade, or the Whit Walk, passing the New Inn. St. Matthias church and Rimington Row (now demolished) on the left. Photo credit: Sylvia Prince

Henry Liles' daughter-in-law
Henry Liles' daughter-in-law

Harriet Crawshaw born 1857, married Jesse Liles in 1890. This photograph was taken after 1886 when the photographers got their Royal Warrant.

Walt Sykes, early 1920s
Walt Sykes, early 1920s

James Walter Sykes became the landlord in 1938. He was the son of Walt Sykes and Emma Charlesworth, and was known as “Walt junior.” Born in 1887, he married Elsie May Evans in 1911, my great-great grandmother Sarah Hannah Crawshaw’s cousin. Members of the Evans family had, like so many, come over from Samuel Fox’s home village of Bradwell in Derbyshire to work in Fox's.

Mrs Navvy Adams
Mrs Navvy Adams

A colourful character, Mrs. Navvy Adams was a regular in the New Inn. She always wore a man’s flat cap and smoked a pipe. She liked a glass of beer and joined in most pub games. Her real name was Caroline, and after being widowed she took in workes and navvies as lodgers to make ends meet.

1854 OS Map
1854 OS Map

The area circled in red is where the New Inn would be built in about 1860. Reproduced with permission of the National Library of Scotland.

1894 OS Map
1894 OS Map

The New Inn is highlighted in yellow. Reproduced with permission of the National Library of Scotland.

1906 OS Map
1906 OS Map

The New Inn is highlighted in yellow. A row of houses has now been added alongside the row containing the pub. Reproduced with permission of the National Library of Scotland.

The following photos are available on Picture Sheffield and are under copyright.  

The continued provision of Picture Sheffield may depend on proof of the level of demand for it. Every time someone clicks the link the website counts another hit and adds to the proven level of use.

Click here for a photo of the New Inn dated 1980, copyright Sheffield City Council. 

Picture Sheffield reference: s42258