The King & Miller

Deepcar

Thank you to everyone who has contributed photographs so far - please get in touch if you have any that you think would be of interest to others.

King and Miller, George Allen A. H. Smit

The King & Miller Inn, Manchester Road, Deepcar. Click on a photo to enlarge it and for more information.

King and Miller
King and Miller

1855 Ordnance Survey map showing the King and Miller and the Corn Mill behind it.

press to zoom
King & Miller c1910
King & Miller c1910

George Allen was the landlord c1904-c1911. The sign outside is advertising Don Ales from the Don Brewery near Kelham Island in Sheffield; this brewery was taken over by Tennant Brothers in 1915.

press to zoom
King and Miller
King and Miller

A group of men outside the King and Miller. It looks as if the one in the middle is being held upright! The man 8th from the left is Arthur Broadhead (1878-1937) Photo from Doreen Hukins

press to zoom
King & Miller
King & Miller

The King and Miller on the left, just past the shop with the awning (the Co-operative Stores)

press to zoom
King & Miller
King & Miller

King and Miller can be seen on the left, just past the Co-operative Stores. This branch of the store was opened in 1893.

press to zoom
King and Miller 2020
King and Miller 2020

Photo credit: Ian Sutton

press to zoom
King and Miller 2020
King and Miller 2020

Photo credit: Ian Sutton

press to zoom
King & Miller c1910
King & Miller c1910

Looking down from Wharncliffe Crags. The pub is at the very bottom of the photograph, just to the right of Manchester Road. It’s a side-on view, with the Co-op building behind it. Looking towards St. John’s Church on the left and the Water Works House on the right.

press to zoom
King & Miller c1919
King & Miller c1919

Schofield’s no. 57 coach outside the King and Miller. The driver is Mr. Fred Bartlett. Note the bay window to the side, which can also be seen on the photo taken from the crags. Note the bay window to the side, which can also be seen on the photo taken from the crags. Photo courrtesy of Arnold Palmer

press to zoom
King & Miller
King & Miller

Side view of the pub taken from Google Earth

press to zoom
King and Miller 2020
King and Miller 2020

Showing one of the stained glass windows Photo credit: Ian Sutton

press to zoom
Tennant Brothers external window
Tennant Brothers external window

Photo credit: Dave Pickersgill

press to zoom
Tennant Brothers external window detail
Tennant Brothers external window detail

Photo credit: Dave Pickersgill

press to zoom
Smith & Co Brewery
Smith & Co Brewery

The Don Brewery of Sheffield, A. H. Smith & Co. The brewery was on Penistone Road, opposite the Globe Works at Kelham Island. The brewery also had the Sportsman’s Arms at Old Haywoods and the Coach and Horses at Stocksbridge. Smith’s were acquired by Tennant Brothers Ltd. in 1915.

press to zoom
1855 OS Map
1855 OS Map

Reproduced by permission of the National Library of Scotland

press to zoom
CAMRA article Dave Pickersgill
CAMRA article Dave Pickersgill
press to zoom
The Tontine Inn, Haymarket, Sheffield
The Tontine Inn, Haymarket, Sheffield

A very busy coaching inn, where many stagecoaches set off from. This is a drawing by W. F. Northend, 1941, and is reproduced by kind permission of Sheffield Local Studies / Picture Sheffield (ref. s22449)

press to zoom

The following photos are available on Picture Sheffield and are under copyright.  

The continued provision of Picture Sheffield may depend on proof of the level of demand for it. Every time someone clicks the link the website counts another hit and adds to the proven level of use.

Click here for a photo of the King and Miller dated 1960.  Copyright Brightside & Carbrook Co-op.  Picture Sheffield reference: s16905