The Rock Inn

Green Moor

Thank you to everyone who has contributed photographs so far - please get in touch if you have any that you think would be of interest to others.

Rock Inn.JPG

The Rock Inn, Green Moor. Click on a photo to enlarge it and for more information.

Rock Inn
Rock Inn

Well-used by the local quarrymen. There used to be two entrances to the pub; this is the "back"; in recent years the main entrance was on the other side, where the carpark was. The Rock Inn was built on the site of the paymaster's office, which served the quarry behind it.

The Rock
The Rock

This photo shows the same side of the pub as the previous photo. There was a doorway into a shop on this side. The copper beech was planted in 1967 or 1968 and was a prize when the village won the "Best Kept Village in Yorkshire" competition. The pub changed its name to The Rock in 1969. Photo credit: Glyn & Alison Stebbing.

The Rock
The Rock
The Rock
The Rock

Another view of the "back" The landlords at this time were Peter and Audrey Stebbing (1966-1994). Photo credit: Glyn & Alison Stebbing

Rock Inn painting by Ernest Richardson
Rock Inn painting by Ernest Richardson

The two elms to the right of the house were lost to Dutch Elm disease, probably late-1970s. Joe and Ivy Bacon lived in the house for many years. The track is Delph Mews.

The Rock
The Rock

This photograph shows the other side to the previous photos. The carpark was on this side Photo credit: Glyn & Alison Stebbing

The Rock
The Rock

Photo credit: Glyn & Alison Stebbing

The Rock 2008
The Rock 2008

Photo credit: Liz Delaney, whose parents Sid and Peggy Wells ran a general grocery store here from c1951 to 1954. The landlords at the time were Joe and Ivy Bacon. Liz’s family of five lived in two rooms on the other side of the pub to this photograph, sharing one bedroom upstairs and a living room/kitchen downstairs. There was no running water; it had to be collected from the nearby pump house, and there was no inside bathroom.

Rock Inn, date unknown
Rock Inn, date unknown

The building on the right was unauthorised and too big, and was ordered to be taken down.

The Rock c2000
The Rock c2000

Photo from Penistone Archives

The Rock, closed
The Rock, closed

The pub closed in about 2005/6 There used to be a shop on this side too; the doorway was where the conservatory is on this photograph.

The Rock 2008
The Rock 2008

The pub was closed and awaiting demolition Image taken from Google

The Rock back view 2008
The Rock back view 2008

Image taken from Googlr

The Rock
The Rock

Just prior to demolition. Houses now stand on the site. Photo source: unknown

Site of the Rock 2011
Site of the Rock 2011

Image taken from Google

1855 OS map England and Wales
1855 OS map England and Wales

The Rock Inn and Pond Cottages at Well Hill are highlighted. Reproduced with permission of the National Library of Scotland.

1906 OS map
1906 OS map

Sites of Hunshelf pubs highlighted: Peck Pond, The Rock and Pond Cottages at Well Hill. Reproduced with permission of the National Library of Scotland.

1906 OS Map
1906 OS Map

England & Wales OS Map, revised 1903, published 1906. The Rock Inn and Pond Cottages at Well Hill are highlighted Reproduced with permission of the National Library of Scotland.